I'm not sure that we will have 60 participants, but we will certainly be able to have good sized groups in each of the two summer sessions. And I think we will have a diverse group of teens in regards to ethnicity, home location, and public/private school. However, the girl applicants are outnumbering the boys at this point.
I am taking quick looks at the applications as they come in, but we will not make any decisions until Friday, April 25, 2008. I will have an acceptance e-mail ready to go for after the selections are made that morning. Time to get going on the enrollment package materials...
Based on the preliminary numbers, Lydia and I have decided to have a single orientation session on May 18, 2008 at 2:00 pm. The Assembly Building at the Dana Brown Overnight Center is plenty large to handle the selected SIFTers and 1-2 parents each. This session will serve several purposes.
- Final check of the enrollment forms
- Communication about what to bring and what to expect for the SIFT summer sessions
- Tour of the SNR facilities, especially the overnight cabins
- Pre-program surveys and interviews with our evaluator Kathi Beyer
- Introduction of SIFT program staff
- General parental reassurance and get acquainted type activities